With 2 craft shows coming up within the next 2 weeks, I have been frantically accumulating earrings in my studio (ok, my bedroom). Probably because of the spring coming up, I suddenly had the urge to organize the pieces I will be taking with me to the show. Needless to say, I have a ton of scrap fabric to upcycle, which made the whole thing possible.
First, let me tell you, I am not a sewer, never been and never will. It just gets on my nerves. Don’t give me wrong, I know that it is partially because of my underdeveloped tailoring skills, but on the other hand I also have more than a handful of skills that require some patience. I just happen to have a particularly bad aptitude about sewing. But I overcame the initial fear, because I was super excited about organizing jewelry as well as reusing some of that old fabric that has been accumulating for quite a while.
The result is far from being professionally looking, but it was worth the effort and—as for now—I am not excluding the possibility of replicating the experience.
First I looked online and found a bunch of amazing patterns to follow. But I am lazy (yes, don;t judge me), so I could not possibly thing of downloading and printing patterns and even using a measuring tape was out of discussion. So I closed my laptop and started cutting right away. I had an old pair of jeans, which served as the outer layer (but any stiff fabric will work). Then I decided to have an inner layer and the internal linen. Thinking back, I could have probably avoid the inner layer, which makes the roll a little bulky.
First I made the actual earring holder, by folding a stipe of the same fabric. Then I attached it to the inner and linen layers (excluding the jeans, external layer).
Here you can decide on whether you want it divided, to be able to hang several things and prevent them from moving around too much or not. But that is really up to you. As for me, my laziness lead my dividers to become larger and larger, but that was clearly neither intentional, nor planned (yes, I wish I were that smart). This was the most annoying part of the project and it seemed to take forever. Probably also because my thread kept getting out of the needle, and it take me at least 20 seconds to put it back. It literally happened twice every three seams, so I probably spent about 30 minutes on this. But again, timing is off because of my poor sewing skills. I am sure a slightly more experienced sewer would do an excellent job in half the time it took me to do this one single step.
At that point, I was finally ready to assemble the roll. I did it working with the fabric on the wrong side.
The earrings fall of at times, so I’lll probably make a better one, but this is good enough for now. Feel free to share your project if you want.
Copyright © All Rights Reserved